Monday, January 29, 2007

Sensor "failure" images

My 4 year old p&s digital camera began to exhibit signs of sensor failure a couple months ago. The preview picture on the LCD began moving and wavering like a TV going on the blink. I could record the images although it was like making a close-up picture of water on a moving river - the image field distortions kept changing and what I recorded was not precisely what I saw when pushing the shutter. Typically there is a strong magenta cast, which I have reduced with software for these images. Unfortunately, the camera sensor completely died several weeks after it started doing all this. I am pretty excited about the image quality and made as many as I could when it was happening:



leaves and shrubs


up through trees


leaf close-up


self portrait



Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 1/30/2007 11:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too bad you had to have the camera fixed, finally, Arthur; each one of these "failed" pix looks fantastical! And, very glad you got to share them with an audience. I loved the self-portrait.

 
At 2/04/2007 10:20 PM, Blogger Eric Hancock said...

Very cool.

 
At 3/08/2007 9:06 PM, Blogger Paul said...

Those are some interesting effects. Art through failure! :-)

 
At 2/09/2008 11:55 PM, Blogger BonK! said...

Never say die! I would've done the same thing, though I hope I don't have to anytime soon.

My faves here are your trees (the sky shining through looking like stalactites) and your self-portrait. What an unusually interesting malfunction! You made good use of it. :)

 
At 9/01/2008 9:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, now I finally understand what happened with my camera. It's not creating images resembling paintings by Francis Bacon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home